[MISSION] Mannworks - Monster Maneuvers

6 Replies, 1019 Views
Expert Difficulty
7 Waves
Cash amounts given out each wave are the exact same as Mann-euvers, the Valve Mannworks Normal mission. $400 Starter.

Credits

- Icons belong to their respective artists.
- Big thanks to all of the playtesters who helped me iron out every little detail of this mission. Playtested 20+ times, the only remaining issues should be very minor.

Difficulty was very heavily controlled for in testing. It is meant to be a difficult mission, even among experts. The majority of playtesting sessions didn't struggle very much with the mission.

Major points of concern that have been addressed in playtesting:

Wave 1:

The Giant Heal on Kill Shotgunner had 3 playtesting sessions dedicated just to tuning his itemattributes. I do not believe it should need any further nerfs.

Wave 5:

The Spies this wave have been implemented in every way you could conceivably implement a Spy. I've tried Support limited, main wave and support 1, to test every suggestion that was made to me. I found that putting them in main wave was the best way to implement them, as it clearly signalled to everybody these were not mission support spies you could expect from seeing spies in support on the wave bar.

Thank you for reading, enjoy your time judging this (-:

Attached Files
.pop   mvm_mannworks_exp_monster_maneuvers.pop (Size: 52.93 KB / Downloads: 41)
Judges present:
randomguy (Scout)
Quantum Apple (Spy)
Skin King (Engineer)

Non-judges present:
Floro (Pyro) (mission creator)
Mo (Demoman)

Demo: https://us-testing.moonlight.tf:27107/de...47.dem.zip

overall:
Tanks spawned at the same time should be given names tankboss_left and tankboss_right to stop them from clipping through eachother. (see mannslaughter w3 for example)
While there is nothing uncontestably wrong with moneyless mainwave bots, keep in mind that it leads to scouts having less health and therefore having a harder time without buying resistances.
w1:
Swap the positions of the giant soldiers and giant shotgun on the wavebar so that they represent the order the bots come out.
w3:
Flare pyros should use an icon to indicate their rapid fire.
w4:
Ending part with the giant soldiers was a bit too brutal, although this may have been caused by the team getting pushed to hatch beforehand on both attempts. Maybe a nerf to the giant pickaxe soldiers (such as mark-for-death) is necessary.
w5:
Wave felt like a brutal hatch hold after the boss.
Spies dropping money makes collecting all the cash a nightmare as spies will drop cash all around the map, their cash should be redistributed.
w7:
Seemed fine because we technically had 4 players as this wave deletes spy, although Mo was bomb launching the whole time so hard to tell. Watch the demo and think about it.
Changes:

-Adjusted wavebar on wave 1.
-Fixed audio issue with a sound cue tied to the second boss of wave 1.
-Cash was redistributed so the super scouts drop cash on wave 2.
-Updated flare pyro icons on wave 3.
-Added mark for death on the giant miners on wave 4.
-Cash was redistributed on wave 5, so the final wavespawn of spies no longer drops cash.
-Wave 5 Chief Treader had its health reduced from 30k to 27.5k.
-The rapid bison soldiers on wave 7 were turned into commons (health downgraded from 1000 to 200).
-Wave 7 tanks were renamed to prevent them from kissing.

Wave 7:
Demo showed an unintentional disruption of intended pacing. The initial rush of robots was changed significantly to accommodate for this (so they don't prevent the supercharged pyros from spawning in with the bomb). It was retested 3 times to ensure the changes made for a compelling wave.
-Removed the persian wave spawn; adjusted the relevant dependencies.
-Adjusted bison wavespawn to totalcount 16, maxactive 16.

The judge-ready version is uploaded on testing na1.

Attached Files
.pop   mvm_mannworks_exp_monster_maneuvers.pop (Size: 52.11 KB / Downloads: 41)
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2023, 12:58 PM by "I have emails" -David Starkey.)
PASS ONE
Judges present: M1, oddschool, egg
Demo link: https://us-testing.moonlight.tf:27107/de...01.dem.zip

Wave 7:
-Remove the rapid from the bisons at the beginning of wave 7 (and adjust the icon in the wavebar)
Updated the requested changes for pass 1:
-Every full duration uber medic on wave 3 was turned into a quick-uber.
-The initial rush of bisons on wave 7 is no longer rapid fire.

Updated various cosmetic changes (hats, names; things that have no incidence on gameplay).

Attached Files
.pop   mvm_mannworks_exp_monster_maneuvers.pop (Size: 52.22 KB / Downloads: 39)
Judges present:
randomguy (Scout)
Skin King (Soldier)
Quantum Apple (Demoman)
PDA Expert (Spy)

Non-judges present:
egg (Engineer) (Did pass 1)

Demo: https://us-testing.moonlight.tf:27107/de...93.dem.zip

PASS TWO - This will be in the next event!

Overall:
Nothing to really complain about. Good mission.
Update:

Overall:
Various cosmetic touch-ups.

Wave 5:

Chief Treader changes:
-slower reload (nerf)
-slower firing speed (whether you find this to be a buff or a nerf is up to you)
-lowered health to 25k
-added increased air control 10 in characterattributes

Attached Files
.pop   mvm_mannworks_exp_monster_maneuvers.pop (Size: 52.36 KB / Downloads: 50)
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2024, 11:53 AM by "I have emails" -David Starkey.)